This comic was created as part of a participatory storytelling project for my Digital Storytelling class. We began by working together to write a story using Twitter.
This was the first time I have really used Twitter, and I found it easier than I had anticipated, but also frustrating. There was much more I wanted to add to the story than I was able to, especially in terms of details. I felt frustrated during the group writing process because although to me Twitter seems like a medium that lends itself to action, many of the lines submitted by my classmates did little to move the plot forward.
I also felt frustrated with Twitter because it was often difficult to figure out what had just been said. That meant the story line was often disregarded.
After the completion of the group story, we were asked to produce an accompanying artifact that somehow added depth to the story we had created. For my project I chose to experiment with a new (to me) program called Pixton to create a comic strip.
This was my first time using any kind of software like this, so it took me some time to figure everything out. There are a lot of different buttons to do various things, and not all of the buttons are visible at the same time. That alone was frustrating. However, the most frustrating thing was probably trying to figure out how to re-position the characters.
I envisioned a larger project than I was able to produce. Unfortunately, because I was using the free version, I was restricted to just nine blocks. My intention had been to show the initial tragedy in Re’s life and to go on to show her first meeting with Kes. Due to the limitations on the free version of the software, only the initial tragedy is shown.
Another thing I did not care for about this software was that I did not have the option to easily incorporate any kind of narration. For example, I wanted to include some kind of back story to set the stage or some narration to transition between panels. Because of the software limitations, I was forced to think more visually about how to frame my story.
This was an interesting experience, and working with a comic strip format reminded me a bit of working with Twitter because I had to simplify my ideas and think carefully about the most efficient way to express them.